What the Five Points of Calvinism AREN'T...
1. TOTAL DEPRAVITY: All men are as bad and wicked as they can possibly be. Everyone acts like Charles Manson.
2. UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION: God sits up in heaven and decides..."You go to heaven...you go to hell", and God would deny entrance to heaven to someone who wants to go there if they are not elect.
3. LIMITED ATONEMENT: God shows no love or grace to those who will never be saved or that Jesus only had enough power to save some.
4. IRRESISTABLE GRACE: God forces people against their will to choose him, and people never have to make a willful decision for Christ. Also, God will save whom He will save, so we need to ignore the commands to evangelize.
5. PERSEVERENCE OF THE SAINTS: If you ever walked an aisle, said a prayer, made a decision, even if there is no change or you have no fruit in your life, you are definitely saved. Plus, since you can't lose your salvation, you can live however you want.
These are straw man arguments used to debate those who hold to the doctrines of grace...straw man because only a few fringe false teachers hold to some of these views, certainly no Calvinist of note believes these...
Bill Itzel has been a worship leader and singer/songwriter for over 30 years and is based in Westminster, MD. His family tours and leads worship, not only in their home church (Mt. Airy Bible Church), but around the country. This is a blog about congregational worship and the latest news in the The Itzel's ministry.